Sunday, January 28, 2007

reunion 07

Karen wanted me to look into this for a Johnson family reunion this summer. A girl in my ward that I visit teach is in charge of booking it (her parents own it but are on a mission). It seems a little expensive for a weekend getaway, but I guess we would be able to split it between all of us. Check it out and let me know what you think. (Yes Janet and Maggie, you will be expected to come!) At the bottom of the page there is a calendar where you can check to see when it is available. It looks like the first half of June or August would be our best bets. It's called Reunion Ranch - http://www.vrbo.com/48100
I still have to do my visiting teaching this month ....I know...but I will ask her about it - see if I can get the inside scoop.
I don't really know of anything else, but I'll keep asking around.
In other news, we loved the video of Felix sledding. How great that you have a sledding hill in your backyard! Riley has started sunbeams and loves it. I guess the only problem is that her two little friends from preschool fight over who gets to sit by her :) She is being quite the sweetheart lately. I think we have exited the violent jealous stage and entered the (mostly) helpful big sister phase. She loves to do her "exercizes" while I run on the treadmill. Sometimes she will watch "Happy, Healthy Monsters" but usually she just runs around the basement a bunch and then does some sit ups. It is pretty cute. She will even turn to the side to work her obliques. I only wish my tummy was as flat as hers. Since Christmas Riley always wants to go to Grandma Johnson's house. She obviously forgot the 12 hour drive much more quickly than we did! She is also always talking about her friends Amy, Lisa and Lizzy. We read the Dinosaur friend book tonight and she gasped, "My friend Amy gave me this book!"
And finally, her favorite new word is "thinger". Like, "Mom, will you get that thinger down for me?" or, "Daddy, what's that thinger?" Fun times. Not much else new. The temperature hasn't risen but our gas bill has :) Love you all! Let me know what you think about reunion ranch - Val

2 comments:

Amy J said...

Well, the Las Vegas girls think it looks nice! And we didn't think it seemed that expensive considering the fact that we would be splitting it several ways. This "late" in the game (people book their reunions so early!), I think we would be lucky to be able to go somewhere that nice, where we can all be together. BTW, thanks for the Riley update! She's such a cute, cute little girl! Please post some pictures of both of your "cutie pies" (as Riley would say) very soon!

Scott said...

We prefer something closer to Denver, since that way we could possibly drive. Roundtrip airfare for three, plus a car rental, plus the lodging gets a little steep.

I realize we're the outliers, but everyone would have to travel to Jackson, but at least the Denver four wouldn't have to travel very far to something near Denver, and for the others who would have to travel, Denver's relative centrality among us all effectively minimizes our travel distances.

Even though we would probably still have to fly and rent a car for something in Utah, that seems like it would also be preferrable to Jackson as far as minimizing total "man-miles".

I've actually created a spreadsheet that calculates the total "man-miles" of various possible reunion locations, and Utah minimizes the entire clan's total travel and Denver is second.

We hope to come regardless, but if the price tag climbs too high for us, we may have to opt out.